Veritas NetBackup™ Deduplication Guide
- Introducing the NetBackup media server deduplication option
- Planning your deployment
- About MSDP storage and connectivity requirements
- About NetBackup media server deduplication
- About NetBackup Client Direct deduplication
- About MSDP remote office client deduplication
- About MSDP performance
- MSDP deployment best practices
- Provisioning the storage
- Licensing deduplication
- Configuring deduplication
- Configuring the Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent behavior
- Configuring the MSDP fingerprint cache behavior
- Configuring MSDP fingerprint cache seeding on the storage server
- About MSDP Encryption using KMS service
- Configuring a storage server for a Media Server Deduplication Pool
- Configuring a disk pool for deduplication
- Configuring a Media Server Deduplication Pool storage unit
- About MSDP optimized duplication within the same domain
- Configuring MSDP optimized duplication within the same NetBackup domain
- Configuring MSDP replication to a different NetBackup domain
- About NetBackup Auto Image Replication
- Configuring a target for MSDP replication to a remote domain
- Creating a storage lifecycle policy
- Resilient Network properties
- Editing the MSDP pd.conf file
- About protecting the MSDP catalog
- Configuring an MSDP catalog backup
- Configuring deduplication to the cloud with NetBackup CloudCatalyst
- Using NetBackup CloudCatalyst to upload deduplicated data to the cloud
- Configuring a CloudCatalyst storage server for deduplication to the cloud
- Monitoring deduplication activity
- Viewing MSDP job details
- Managing deduplication
- Managing MSDP servers
- Managing NetBackup Deduplication Engine credentials
- Managing Media Server Deduplication Pools
- Changing a Media Server Deduplication Pool properties
- Configuring MSDP data integrity checking behavior
- About MSDP storage rebasing
- Managing MSDP servers
- Recovering MSDP
- Replacing MSDP hosts
- Uninstalling MSDP
- Deduplication architecture
- About unified logging
- About legacy logging
- Troubleshooting MSDP installation issues
- Troubleshooting MSDP configuration issues
- Troubleshooting MSDP operational issues
- Troubleshooting CloudCatalyst issues
- CloudCatalyst logs
- Problems encountered while using the Cloud Storage Server Configuration Wizard
- Disk pool problems
- Problems during cloud storage server configuration
- CloudCatalyst troubleshooting tools
- Appendix A. Migrating to MSDP storage
Configuring MSDP server-side deduplication
This topic describes how to configure media server deduplication in NetBackup.
Table: MSDP configuration tasks describes the configuration tasks.
The NetBackup Administrator's Guide describes how to configure a base NetBackup environment.
See the NetBackup Administrator's Guide, Volume I:
Table: MSDP configuration tasks
Install the license for deduplication
Create NetBackup log file directories on the master server and the media servers
Configure the Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent behavior
The Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent uses the default configuration values that control its behavior. You can change those values if you want to do so.
See About the MSDP Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent.
See Configuring the Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent behavior.
See Configuring deduplication plug-in interaction with the Multi-Threaded Agent.
Configure the fingerprint cache behavior
Configuring the fingerprint cache behavior is optional.
See About the MSDP fingerprint cache.
Enable support for 96-TB MSDP
Before you configure a storage server that hosts a 96-TB, you must enable support for that size storage.
Configure a deduplication storage server
How many storage servers you configure depends on: your storage requirements and on whether or not you use optimized duplication or replication. When you configure a storage server, the wizard also lets you configure a disk pool and a storage unit.
See About MSDP storage servers.
See MSDP storage path properties.
See About MSDP optimized duplication and replication.
Which type of storage server to configure depends on the storage destination.
See About the NetBackup deduplication destinations.
See Configuring a storage server for a Media Server Deduplication Pool.
Configure a disk pool
If you already configured a disk pool when you configured the storage server, you can skip this step.
How many disk pools you configure depends on: your storage requirements and on whether or not you use optimized duplication or replication.
See About disk pools for NetBackup deduplication.
Create the data directories for 96-TB support
For a 96-TB, you must create the data directories under the mount points for the storage directories.
Add the other volumes for 96-TB support
For a 96-TB, you must add the second and third volumes to the disk pool.
See Adding volumes to a 96-TB Media Server Deduplication Pool.
Configure a storage unit
See Configuring a Media Server Deduplication Pool storage unit.
Encryption is optional.
Configure optimized synthetic backups
Optimized synthetic backups are optional.
Configure MSDP restore behavior
Optionally, you can configure NetBackup to bypass media servers during restores.
Configure optimized duplication copy
Optimized duplication is optional.
Replication is optional.
Configure a backup policy
Use the deduplication storage unit as the destination for the backup policy. If you configured replication, use the storage lifecycle policy as the storage destination.
See About MSDP backup policy configuration.
Specify advanced deduplication settings
Advanced settings are optional.
See About the MSDP pd.conf configuration file.
See Editing the MSDP pd.conf file.
Protect the MSDP data and catalog
See About protecting the MSDP data.