Veritas NetBackup™ Deduplication Guide
- Introducing the NetBackup media server deduplication option
- Planning your deployment
- About MSDP storage and connectivity requirements
- About NetBackup media server deduplication
- About NetBackup Client Direct deduplication
- About MSDP remote office client deduplication
- About MSDP performance
- MSDP deployment best practices
- Provisioning the storage
- Licensing deduplication
- Configuring deduplication
- Configuring the Deduplication Multi-Threaded Agent behavior
- Configuring the MSDP fingerprint cache behavior
- Configuring MSDP fingerprint cache seeding on the storage server
- About MSDP Encryption using KMS service
- Configuring a storage server for a Media Server Deduplication Pool
- Configuring a disk pool for deduplication
- Configuring a Media Server Deduplication Pool storage unit
- About MSDP optimized duplication within the same domain
- Configuring MSDP optimized duplication within the same NetBackup domain
- Configuring MSDP replication to a different NetBackup domain
- About NetBackup Auto Image Replication
- Configuring a target for MSDP replication to a remote domain
- Creating a storage lifecycle policy
- Resilient Network properties
- Editing the MSDP pd.conf file
- About protecting the MSDP catalog
- Configuring an MSDP catalog backup
- Configuring deduplication to the cloud with NetBackup CloudCatalyst
- Using NetBackup CloudCatalyst to upload deduplicated data to the cloud
- Configuring a CloudCatalyst storage server for deduplication to the cloud
- Monitoring deduplication activity
- Viewing MSDP job details
- Managing deduplication
- Managing MSDP servers
- Managing NetBackup Deduplication Engine credentials
- Managing Media Server Deduplication Pools
- Changing a Media Server Deduplication Pool properties
- Configuring MSDP data integrity checking behavior
- About MSDP storage rebasing
- Managing MSDP servers
- Recovering MSDP
- Replacing MSDP hosts
- Uninstalling MSDP
- Deduplication architecture
- About unified logging
- About legacy logging
- Troubleshooting MSDP installation issues
- Troubleshooting MSDP configuration issues
- Troubleshooting MSDP operational issues
- Troubleshooting CloudCatalyst issues
- CloudCatalyst logs
- Problems encountered while using the Cloud Storage Server Configuration Wizard
- Disk pool problems
- Problems during cloud storage server configuration
- CloudCatalyst troubleshooting tools
- Appendix A. Migrating to MSDP storage
How to configure a Linux media server as a CloudCatalyst storage server
Use the following procedure if you use a Linux media server (non-appliance) as a CloudCatalyst storage server.
This procedure assumes that the preferred use case is configured. The preferred use case is described in the following topic:
See Optimized duplication is used to copy data from an MSDP storage server to a CloudCatalyst storage server (preferred use case).
Table: Configuration steps for a media server (non-appliance)
Where to configure
Configure an MSDP storage server (source)
One or more media servers
A NetBackup environment may contain one or more media servers that serve as source MSDP storage servers for CloudCatalyst storage servers.
See About MSDP optimized duplication within the same domain.
See About the media servers for MSDP optimized duplication within the same domain.
Create an account with a cloud service provider
Cloud service provider
Make sure that you have an account with a cloud service provider and that you know the user name and password.
Step 3 (Conditional)
Deploy host name-based certificates
This step is applicable and required for media server versions 8.0 to 8.1.2 only.
Deploy a host name-based security certificate for the media server that is configured as the CloudCatalyst storage server.
Configure a CloudCatalyst storage server (target)
A CloudCatalyst storage server is the target for the optimized duplication. It is a dedicated media server for cloud storage.
Ensure that a common media server is configured to allow optimized duplication
If the CloudCatalyst media server was added as a load balancing media server during the MSDP storage server wizard (Step 1), pull optimized duplication is configured.
See the following topic for configuration considerations:
See Configuring source control or target control optimized duplication for CloudCatalyst.
Protect the MSDP data and catalog
Configure a storage lifecycle policy
See Configuring a storage lifecycle policy for NetBackup CloudCatalyst.
The backup and the duplication jobs can also be run manually from the NetBackup Administration Console or by using the bpduplicate command.
Configure a backup policy
Create a backup policy that uses the SLP. In the Policy storage field of the policy Attributes tab, select the SLP.
See About MSDP backup policy configuration.