Veritas™ 5340 Appliance Hardware Installation Guide
- Hardware overview
- Preinstallation requirements
- Hardware installation procedures
- Appendix A. Adding Expansion Storage Shelves to an operating appliance that does not have any Expansion shelves
- Appendix B. Adding Expansion Storage Shelves to an operating appliance that has at least one operating Expansion shelf
- Appendix C. Configuring the disk space for new NetBackup Expansion Storage Shelves
- Appendix D. Configuring the disk space for new Flex Expansion Storage Shelves
Installing disk drives into a full-capacity storage shelf
The 5U84 Primary Storage Shelf and the Expansion Storage Shelf use 4-TB or 8-TB disk drives. You cannot mix the two disk storage capacities in one shelf. You can have different capacities in separate shelves.
You can purchase a storage shelf that provides half of the total possible storage capacity. Refer to the following section for half capacity disk installation instructions.
It is helpful to have two people install the disks. Both people can move the latches to unlock the carriers. One person can remove two or three disks from the shipping box and hand them to the other person. The first person should orient the disk drives in the direction of installation. The second person installs the disks. Both people can press the carriers down and lock them forward. Less than 5 minutes are required to fill an entire drawer.
To install the disk drives into the storage shelf slots
- Locate and open the boxes that contain the storage shelf hard disk drives in their Disk Drive In Carrier (DDIC) units.
Each disk drive is pre-installed in a carrier. Blank drives are also enclosed in carriers. Disk drives are identified by their storage capacity, in TBs. Carriers with blanks are labeled "BLANK."
- Before removing the disk drives from a shipping box, prepare each disk drive carrier for drawer installation.
- Pull the bottom drawer of the shelf forward as far as possible without damaging the hardware.
- Push the carrier forward towards the rear of the slot, in the direction of the circled end of the carrier.
- The release latch clicks into place and moves to the left. The yellow line is no longer visible.
- After unlocking all of the carriers, install each carrier into the bottom drawer.
Do the following for each of the carriers that you want to install:
Insert the carrier into one slot and push it down until it stops.
Place one thumb on each of the two pads that are shown by the red arrows.
Push the carrier forward towards the rear of the slot, in the direction of the circled end of the carrier.
The release latch clicks into place and moves to the left. The yellow line is no longer visible.
Repeat the process for each carrier in the bottom drawer of the shelf.
- Verify that all disks are properly seated in the slots.
- Slide the bottom drawer into the storage shelf.
- Engage the anti-tamper locks on the top drawer as needed.
- Pull the top drawer forward as far as possible without damaging the hardware.
- Slide the top drawer into the shelf.
- If you need to remove a disk drive, slide the release latch to the right. The disk pops up.
- Engage the anti-tamper locks as needed.